Saturday 25 August 2012

Managing your label cloud or list in Blogger

Carole's Chatter label cloud
When you are posting it is important to assign as many relevant labels to your posts as you can for SEO reasons.  But if you show all the labels in your label cloud or list on your sidebar it can end up being very cluttered.  You will see above a screenshot of my label cloud on the main blog - in fact my labels add up to about 5 times this many.

I chose to have an alphabetical label cloud - because I think it makes it easier for people to find what they are looking for.  But it is, of course, a matter of personal choice.

Luckily you can restrict the numbers of labels that show in your cloud or list - this will not in any way affect the other label's effectiveness for search engines etc.

To do this, you go to your Dashboard.  Click Layout and then click edit on your Labels gadget.

You will see under Show the option to show all or select which ones to show.  If you select then you can go through and just tick the main ones - but don't leave it there - move down and  click the orange Save button or all your work will be wasted.  It took me 3 goes to realise this.

And you can go back and revisit this whenever you want.

1 comment:

  1. I'm using a label cloud for my blog because it looks less cluttered. But my individual tags are growing to be quite large. Is there anything I can do?

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcome. I will answer questions as soon as I can.